Sunrise FFO Digest - February 2020
- February 12 @ 6:00 p.m.: Rodeo Lunch Food Order Deadline
- February 14 @ 8:05 a.m.: FFO Meeting in the Library
- February 19: Rodeo Lunch
- February 20-21: Rodeo Break - No School
- February 21: Spring Festival Food Order Deadline
- February 28: 7th Annual Spring Chinese Festival & Mandarin Immersion Student Performances
- March 9: Per-Problem Mathathon Pledges due
- March 10: Mathathon Test Day
- March 27: Yearbook Picture Submission Deadline
- March 30: All Mathathon Pledges must be completed online
- April 12: Yearbook Purchase Deadline
View a full calendar of events at sunriseffo.org/calendar.
Do you heart Sunrise Drive Elementary School? Show us some love by making a tax deductible donation to the Spirit of Sunrise! There are so many ways to donate: in the FFO store in Membership Toolkit, via PayPal, or by check payable toâ€œSunrise Drive FFOâ€ and dropped in the FFO lock box in the Sunrise Office.
â€” Dayna Anderson, FFO President
- Fourth Grade / Catalina State Park Field Trip Bus Transortation / $350
- Second grade / Field Trip to Biosphere2 / $2,660
- Kindergarten / Manipulatives and Outside Tools(all classes) / $1,682
- Fifth Grade / Live in America: A Gold Rush Game / $375
â€“ Micha McNerney, Internal Grants Chair
Programs, Events, and Activities
7th Annual Spring Chinese Festival
When: Friday, February 28, 2020, 5:00 p.m.-7:30p.m.
Where: Sunrise Drive campus
What: Get ready for an evening of fun, including student performances, cultural community performers, arts & crafts, games, food, & more!Visit sunriseffo.org/ci for more info! Weâ€™re now taking online pre-orders for food from Janeâ€™s Rolling Wok to enjoy during the festival. Order your meals by February 21 on MTK.
On festival day, shuttle buses will be available from Catalina Foothills High Schoolto Sunrise from 4:30-8:00 p.m.
Sponsorship opportunities available! Do you own a business(or know someone who does)?Want to advertise to hundreds of families(1000+ people!) and support a great community cause? Become a silver($500) or gold sponsor($1,000) by filling out the Sponsorship Form. For questions about sponsorships, contact Dayna Anderson.
-Charmaine Lewis & Kristen Lin, Chinese Immersion Liaisons
What: Mathathon is a huge fundraiser for Sunrise with 100% of the proceeds going to the school.
When: February 3 to April 3(see timeline below).
Why: Through Mathathon, Sunrise Drive FFO raises tens of thousands of dollars for field trips, artists-in-residence, Community Garden, 5th grade legacy project and dozens of other campus programs. Our families achieve this while students have fun studying math â€“ itâ€™s a true win/win for Sunrise and students!
How: Students get pledges from family and friends for either(a) each math problem answered correctly on a test they take on March 10, or(b) a flat amount.
- Now to March 9: Use test from take-home packet for practice â€“ the more practice the better!
- March 9: Allâ€œPer Problem Pledgesâ€ must be received. Flat pledges can still be made after this date
- March 10:Test day â€“ remember, math is fun! Volunteers needed!
- April 3: All pledges must be completed online. Any money paid after this date will not be included in the calculation of prizes(though, of course, it will be accepted).
EVERYparticipating student will take home a prize, regardless of the amount they raise. Our goal is 100% participationâ€¦letâ€™s set a new record, Sunrise!
-Debbie Claggett & Tracy Rea, Mathathon Chairs
When: February 19, see below for times
Where: School Campus
What: Lunchinâ€™, dancinâ€™ and general cowboy and cowgirl fun led by Ms. Dover!
How: Read below for student and non-student lunch options.
Lunches are available to students and non-students for purchase. The lunch menu includes beef or veggie dog, carrots, watermelon, chips and milk. Students may bring or purchase lunch. For students, lunch costs $3.25 and payment must be made through their InTouchstudent account online. For adults and non-students, lunch costs $3.50 and must be pre-ordered. Water is also available for pre-order for $1. Pre-orders must be made by Wednesday, February 12 at 6:00 p.m. Visit sunriseffo.org/rodeo-orderto pre-order. You will be prompted to log in or create an account if you have not done so. Only student lunches will be sold on the day of the event.
Pick up your pre-ordered food tickets in the office beginning at noon on February 17 to February 19.
Dancinâ€™ and Recess
11:00-11:30(Dancing at 11:15)
Steppers Fun Run
When: Friday, February 28, 11:00 a.m.to 1:10 p.m.(during lunch recess)
What: A field day full of fun running events and activities
Where: Upper Field
Why: To celebrate the end of our Steppers season and all the efforts and laps our little Steppers achieved this year!
Volunteers are needed to assist with set up and cleanup, as well as managing the various stations while the children participate in the fun. Visit the Fun Run Signup to volunteer.
Discover all of the fantastic volunteer opportunities at Sunrise Drive:
- Rodeo Lunch: help serve lunch and stay for dancing.
- 5th Grade Legacy Art Project: Help students roll/cut/paint clay tiles.
- Mathathon: sign-up to appear as Dr. Math during recess or lunch to quiz students or help on test day.
- Chinese Festival: art mounting, school decorating and clean-up are just some of the tasks for the taking.
- Steppers: volunteer until February 14 to help students keep track of their laps or be a Fun Run volunteer.
| |Be a Superhero Garden Volunteer!
Classroom Volunteers Needed
Please consider helping teachers get students to the garden. Email Emily Franklin with any questions.
Starting October 23, grades 1-5 have access to the garden during lunch recess on Wednesdays. Students keep the garden looking its best throughout the season. Volunteers needed to keep students on task and out of trouble.
-Emily Franklin, Garden Chair
Many thanks to the wonderful volunteers who helpedmake the Chinese New Year Teacher & Staff luncheon on January 24 a success! The Sunrise staff enjoyed kicking off the festivities for the new year.
Support our immersion students as they perform songs and skits in Mandarin at the Spring Chinese Festival on February 28 from 5:00 to 7:30p.m. Student performance schedule:
- 5:30-6:00 p.m. - Kindergarten & 4th Grade
- 6:15-6:45p.m. - 3rd & 5th Grade
- 7:00-7:30p.m. - 1st & 2nd Grade, Choir
Yearbooks are available for order on Picaboo for $30(soft cover) or $37(hardcover). The deadline to order a yearbook and have your student receive it with their classmates is APRIL 12, 2020! Extra yearbooks will not be available for purchase at the end of the school year.
The last day for photo submissions is March 27. Follow the instructions on the yearbook webpage at sunriseffo.org/yearbook to upload your photos for consideration!If you are wondering whether you already ordered a yearbook, the webpage also has instructions on how to confirm your purchase.
-Sabrina Romero and Marla Harris, Yearbook Co-Chairs
Support Sunrise Drive Elementary by downloading the Box Tops mobile app to scan receipts for box top earnings! No more clipping â€” just scan and earn funds for our school!
Click on the image for more details.